F89 FDNY FIRE AND LIFE SAFETY DIRECTOR FDNY ONLINE COURSE
F-89 Fire and Life Safety Director (FLSD) course
This course helps students prepare for the FDNY FLSD COF F89 written exam and on-site examination. This online class covers the FDNY F89 Study guide and provides comprehensive instruction ahead of the exam on the following: Fire Codes, Fire and Emergency Action Plans, Fire Safety Examination Plan, and more.
To ensure the safety of occupants and visitors, high-rise office buildings, hotels, and other commercial buildings that have installed fire alarm systems with two-way voice communication must have a Fire and Life Safety Director on-site during regular business hours.
The FLS Director is responsible for coordinating fire safety efforts and evacuation procedures in the event of an emergency.
This comprehensive training covers key topics:
- Fire and non-fire emergencies.
- Active Shooter emergency protection plan, which describes how personnel will react in an active shooter situation while mitigating further damage using fire safety measures.
- Medical emergencies are preparedness training that teaches individuals how to help victims during a heart attack or seizure crisis.
The FLS Director and Deputy FLS Director are responsible for implementing the FDNY plan (e.g. Comprehensive Fire Safety and Emergency Action Plan or Fire Safety and Evacuation Plan), conducting staff FLS training, fire and non-fire emergency drills, and other duties indicated in the Fire Code and Fire Rule. They must hold a valid Certificate of Fitness to do so.
- After meeting further requirements specified in the Notice of Examination, the F-89 Certificate of Fitness replaces the F-59 FS/EAP Director Certificate of Fitness.
- This Certificate of Fitness is valid for a specific person and location.
To get your FLSD F89 Certification you must meet the following qualifications:
- You must be 18 years or older, or the age required by law, rule, or regulation, to apply.
- You must have a reasonable understanding of the English language and be able to answer questions satisfactorily during the examination process.
- You must have at least three years of full-time work experience in one or more of the following fields. Or, if you have 18 months of full-time work experience that includes at least six months of continuous employment at one work location, you are also eligible:
- firefighting or other employment in public safety emergency response;
- any employment related to fire safety, including code enforcement, fire safety inspection, fire prevention, or emergency preparedness;
- the design, installation, operation or maintenance of building fire protection, electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation, or air conditioning systems, or other building system regulated by the construction codes; or
- similar experience sufficient to the Department;
- Complete the FLSD training course that is approved by the FDNY.
- Pass the written and on-site exams that are required by the FDNY.
- Be physically able to perform the duties of the position, for any inquiries on this, please contact the Certificate of Fitness Unit prior to scheduling the FLS Director exams.
A fire safety director is an individual who has been appointed in accordance with the requirements of Section 5.6 to direct fire safety and emergency action programs for a high-risk, fully sprinklered building or premises.
This FLSD course is approved by the FDNY. Candidates must successfully complete this course before applying for an F-89 certification in New York City. This course includes F89 FDNY Study guide and F89 Practice test.
For additional information on the FDNY CoF F89, please contact us.
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
6 Consecutive Saturdays - 6-hour sessions each / 32hrs total